Community Scanner

Steve Propes

Monday, July 24

3100 block of Artesia Blvd. It amounts to a suspected murder at the Chateau. At 3:17 p.m., the police were called to a stabbing at an assisted living facility. Officers found Alice Pritchard, a 93-year-old resident of Long Beach with stab wounds to her upper torso. Pritchard was transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced deceased. Pritchard’s roommate, Linda Womack, a 65-year-old resident of Long Beach was detained at the scene by investigating officers. The motive for the stabbing is unknown. Womack was booked for murder and is being held with a bail of $2 million.

Wednesday, July 26

Bellflower Blvd. and Conant St. At 4:55 p.m., L.A. County Sheriff turned the pursuit of a Gray Honda, which had begun in Compton, over to Long Beach Police. Taking a left on Wardlow Rd. from Bellflower Blvd, the Honda travelled into Orange County. Speed was not an issue, bad driving was. The Honda finally stopped in an alley near Western High School in Anaheim. The driver walked away, imitating a pedestrian who looked over his shoulder a lot, while the two other occupants wisely sat near the car and waited for the police, one of which finally showed up, gun in hand. All three were arrested.

Saturday, July 29

710 Freeway. At 10:20 p.m. a Nissan SUV containing multiple passengers went over the freeway railing near 6th Street, hit the ground and it ended up on its roof. According to some witnesses, the crash might have been the result of some form of road rage, which  investigators haven’t confirmed. Rescue crews freed seven people from the SUV and took them to local hospitals, where they were all reportedly in stable condition and expected to survive. Another car involved in the crash fled the scene. Police found that car nearby and took its driver, 28-year-old Marco Andrade into custody on suspicion of felony hit-and-run, held at Long Beach Jail in lieu of $50,000 bail. “It is not clear what led to the incident and both drivers will be evaluated to see if any type of impairment contributed to the crash,” said the police statement.

Sunday July 30

800 block of E. 9th St. While doing yard work at 1:50 p.m., a resident found what appeared to be a grenade, called in the authorities, who evacuated the neighborhood, shutting down streets near St. Mary Medical Center. After a two hour disposal period, residents were allowed back into their homes. The device was found to not have any explosive material in it. There’s no word as to whether the yard work re-commenced.

Tuesday, August 11

300 block of Taper St. A man and a woman were hit by gunfire at 3:40 p.m. Paramedics took both victims to the hospital, where they’re expected to survive their wounds, police said. No word on a suspect, motive or gang involvement. Authorities are investigating as is standard procedure.

Friday, August 4

Wardlow Rd. and Palo Verde Ave. A 4:50 p.m. traffic accident caused one vehicle to overturn. At 5 p.m., westbound Wardlow was blocked as a result. By 5:30 p.m., things were pretty much cleared out, with one SUV still nearby on a tow truck and traffic flowing like it will.

Carson St. near Cherry Ave. At 5 p.m., a parent left a child in a vehicle to sweat profusely, then returned, departing the scene in a hurry when bystanders got involved.

Sunday, August 6

Loynes St. and Pacific Coast Hwy. At 9:30 a.m., three cars were involved in a collision.

Port of Long Beach. At 10:30 a.m., a 6,000-gallon shipboard container leaked the solvent, propyl acetate. Contained by emergency personnel, 11 dock workers were treated with minor injuries at the scene, one was taken to a hospital with mild injuries. A firefighter took a fall during the incident.

900 block of Washington Pl. At 10:50 p.m., police responding to reports of a stabbing, located a woman who had been stabbed in the upper body. She told them she knew the suspect, 43-year-old parolee Cleveland Henderson, a Long Beach resident. According to the woman, he was holding another woman hostage at another location. Officers saw a man through an open door holding a woman with what looked like a knife against her throat. Officers told him to drop the weapon, but he refused, so after about 30 minutes of negotiations, police shot Henderson and quickly rescued the female hostage. Inside the house was a third person, whose involvement is unclear. The stabbed woman was hospitalized in stable condition. Henderson’s condition in unknown.

Monday, August 7

2300 block of East 14th St. At 2:48 a.m., police found a male who’d been shot in the lower body. He told police a man shot him and ran off west on 14th Street. The victim is expected to survive his wounds. Gang detectives are investigating, but there’s no information on a possible motive for the shooting.


Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.


Copyright 2020 Beeler & Associates.

All rights reserved. Contents may not be reproduced or transmitted – by any means – without publisher's written permission.