News

10/08/2021 - 6:26pm
Announcement Offers Doubt On Sept. 9 City Manager Tom Modica announced that Chief of Police Robert Luna would retire in December 2021. Two days later – in an opinion piece – the Beachcomber published a list of “asks” directed to Modica. The “asks” suggested a fair and equitable process of recruiting, screening and selecting the next chief of police that involved community surveys, listening...
10/07/2021 - 2:59pm
The largest sports field in Long Beach, 210 feet by 315 feet, and built using artificial turf, opened on Oct. 2 to cheers from Councilwoman Stacy Mungo who voted for it despite its total budgeted costs toping $3.1 million. Neighborhood and taxpayer advocates pushed back, supported by former councilwoman Gerrie Schipske who seeks to unseat Mungo in 2022. Controversial from its inception, the...
“LBPD Brass Defend, Deflect, Deny and Lie”
10/07/2021 - 2:58pm
As previously reported by this newspaper, the Long Beach City Council provided “policy direction and funding to conduct an external evaluation of the Citizen Police Complaint Commission (CPCC) to ensure “optimal alignment with community needs and expectations.” The council action was based upon an initial report from the city’s Racial Equity and Reconciliation Initiative created in response to...
10/07/2021 - 2:56pm
One of the few “feel good” stories to come out of the COVID-19 pandemic was that pet adoption was at an all-time high, with some shelters running out of adoptable animals entirely. The influx of pets matched with the challenges of reduced staff and following pandemic protocol has forced animal clinics to make clients wait anywhere from 1-3 weeks to be seen by a veterinarian in the East Long Beach...
10/07/2021 - 2:54pm
CHILDREN FROM THE BLUFF HEIGHTS COMMUNITY spruced up a roundabout at Vista Street and Orizaba Avenue by tending to its foliage and then decorating it with Halloween items during a community project Sunday, Sept. 26. With help from parents and adults, children put up signs for Halloween, pumpkin vines made of construction paper and a homemade wooden fence, giving a treat to those who go around the...
Series winner Alex Palou
10/07/2021 - 2:36pm
The 46th Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach wrapped up after a loud and exciting weekend of racing. The three days were filled with a diverse set of races. Super Trucks used on-course ramps to catch major air and the flashy Super Drift races left Shoreline Drive covered in smoke. On Sunday the centerpiece of the whole weekend took place: the NTT INDYCAR series. The race winner was Colton Herta, who...
IKE MMEJE, chief operating officer, Miller Children’s & Women’s Hospital Long Beach brings an inspirational message of hope to Zaya, 4, who is battling sickle cell disease as part of Flames of Hope Project.
10/07/2021 - 2:30pm
Shines Light on Health Inequities & Awareness September is known for Childhood Cancer Awareness month. It is often exhibited throughout September with its gold ribbons worn by teams and displayed at professional baseball parks, coin jars at grocery stores and throughout social media. Yet, not as many people are aware that September is also Sickle Cell Disease Awareness month. In fact, sickle...
10/07/2021 - 2:27pm
When I was a kid I remember seeing dad’s and grandpa’s alike rocking the “Old Guys Rule” shirts and couldn’t help but snicker at the rather satirical phrase. I had the same sort of sentiment when I heard that Vince Neil, the lead singer of glam metal band, Motley Crue was headlining the Grand Prix this weekend in Long Beach. Fans who have seen the band’s biopic, The Dirt, know that the now 60-...
10/04/2021 - 10:03am
A recent Public Records Act (PRA) request made upon the City of Long Beach by CHECKLBPD researcher Greg Buhl and provided to the Beachcomber revealed that 145 or 18.5% of the total 783 LBPD officers live in the city while the remaining 81.5% (660) live in 192 ZIP codes outside the city, one as far away as Texas. CITY & TOTAL Aliso Viejo 3 Anaheim 21 Anaheim Hills 4 Arcadia 1...
10/01/2021 - 6:31pm
Rick Chambers, president of the Long Beach Police Officer’s Association (LBPOA) informed his membership by email Friday that the LBPOA board of directors took a unanimous position on the city mandate saying: “We do not support mandatory vaccinations.” The email was sent to the membership following a noon meeting at the POA Park in East Long Beach, just hours following a Sept. 29 issuance of a...

Cast Your Vote

Where should the city look for the next chief of police?

What's Happening

Beachcomber

Copyright 2021 Beeler & Associates.

All rights reserved. Contents may not be reproduced or transmitted – by any means – without publisher's written permission.